top of page

2TM Regional News

Driver allegedly under the influence in crash that killed pregnant woman

A woman will face further charges in court today following an investigation into a fatal crash in the region.

Officers from the Crash Investigation Unit have been piecing together the moments leading up to the collision that killed a young woman and her unborn baby at Inverell earlier in the year.

Following inquiries, investigators charged a 22-year-old Tingha woman with eight traffic offences on March 10.

She was accused of dangerous driving occasioning death by driving in a manner dangerous; negligent driving occasioning death; driver never licensed; using a light vehicle that doesn't comply with standard tyres; using an unregistered vehicle on the road; using an uninsured vehicle, and using a vehicle on road without paying tax and drive with unrestrained passenger. Following further investigations, an additional seven offences will be laid during her court appearance today including dangerous driving occasioning death under the influence; manslaughter; take part in supply prohibited drug; possess prohibited drug (two counts); class A motor vehicle exceed speed over 30km/h; and, prolong, sustain loss of traction. The woman was refused bail and appeared before Tamworth Local Court on March 10, where she was formally refused bail and is due to appear before Inverell Local Court on Thursday.

Emergency services tried to save the 20-year-old woman, who was 32 weeks pregnant, after the crash on Warialda Road at Inverell. The woman was a passenger in a Holden Commodore when it lost control just before 10.30pm.

Police said the Commodore collided with a Mazda Bravo and then struck a power pole. Both the driver and the pregnant passenger were seriously injured. The women were transported to Inverell Airport to meet the Westpac Rescue Helicopter's critical care medical team, but the 20-year-old woman and her unborn baby died before she could be airlifted. The 22-year-old driver was then flown to Tamworth Hospital. Police said the driver of the Mazda Bravo, a 19-year-old man, and his female passenger suffered minor injuries. He was taken to hospital for mandatory testing.


bottom of page