Woman suffers facial burns in West Tamworth house fire
A family escaped a house fire in West Tamworth, but a woman suffered burns to her face on Wednesday. Fire and Rescue zone commander Tom Cooper said they were notified at 8.48am by a triple-zero call there was a house on fire on Cole Road, West Tamworth. "Fire crews on route saw large volumes of smoke, so they responded the bravo pump from Tamworth, the pump from West Tamworth and the tanker, so we had four engines on scene," he said. "There was a woman who suffered smoke inhalation and burns to her face and her arm. "A family had been inside, but they were all out when the crews arrived."
Superintendent Cooper said firefighters searched the home to be safe, but no one was inside and a second crew got to work extinguishing the blaze. He added the fire has since been put out, but there was asbestos material in the structure which is being managed now. Superintendent Cooper said FRNSW would investigate the source of the incident, but initial reports do not suggest it was deliberate. He said the woman was transported to the hospital by ambulance.