Firefighters say 'don't be a disaster chef'
It can take just one fire in a campground to set off a tragic train of events and that is why Tamworth’s firefighters have launched a campaign.
Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Tom Cooper said in previous years they have tackled fires during the country music festival so they are spreading one particular message now.
"This year we are targeting people that go out and have a few drinks," he said.
"FRNSW is not saying you can’t go out and have a drink but if you do we're saying 'don’t go home and cook'.
"Fifty per cent of our fires are from the kitchen from unattended cooking."
Mr Cooper said they are encouraging people to have a bote at one of the pubs, clubs, restaurants or cafes in Tamworth because they have plenty on offer and it's a lot safer than going home - or back to the camping grounds - and trying to cook up a meal after a few drinks.
"Don’t be a disaster chef," he said.
"And our 'keep looking when cooking' spoons will be available from all firies.
"Our crews will be going through caravan parks all-round the place checking on caravans to make sure that they have smoke alarms in them ... we will be replacing any
batteries that might need to be replacing."